Friday, April 22, 2011

Eyes In the Back of My Head


When I was a little girl, my mother told us that if we were naughty she would know about it because she had eyes in the back of her head and could see everything. For the longest time, I tried to see those eyes, even offering to brush her hair so I could get a glimpse. I remember once sneaking up to her bed while she slept, to carefully part the hair on the back of her head, to see if the eye was there. I was terrified that it would be closed and then would suddenly open when I parted the hair.

Of course, I also believed my grandmother when she told me that the watermelon seed I had swallowed was going to sprout into a big watermelon. I was terrified that it would grow and pop out of my belly button.

1 comment:

Debbie A said...

ahh, childhood imaginings! so maybe not a watermelon grew, but the idea for an intensely scary sci-fi flick- "Aliens" wasn't it?!